I have seen some very good movies this year, and some very bad ones too, but lets not focus on those but let’s look at what was good. Some of these movies may not have been released this year, but if I say the movie for the first time this year then it is eligible.
I’m going to start at the top;
- The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble here in the U.K.): This is by a long stretch my favourite movie of the year. It had everything, action, drama, plot, great characters, humour, breath-taking CGI. Joss Whedon put an amazing movie together here and I’d go as far to say this is close to being my favourite movie of all time.
- The Dark Knight Rises: Christopher Nolan’s epic conclusion to this Batman Trilogy was not perfect, but it was close. It felt rushed in places and some of it felt a little strained but that is easily forgotten as the drama and the enormity of the plot gains pace.
- Dredd: I have a dirty confession here, I actually quite like the Stallone version but I can see the cheese factor of the movie. This version felt a lot more raw and I loved the fact that it was a simple storyline and not Dredd trying to save the world. I’ve never read the comics that the film is based on, but I doubt that each episode has Dredd saving the world or something as grand. It was just two cops trying to solve a crime, and stop a wider crime wave.
- The Hunger Games: I have just started reading the book, but I saw the movie when it first came out and it did really impress me. The changes that I have noticed have not bothered me and I’m looking forward to the next movie, although I am disappointed that Director Gary Ross will not be returning to direct the second film. Dredd only just pipped it to the 3rd place.
- Rise OF The Guardians: This is a late comer to the list as it only came out a few weeks ago and gets in by the spirit the movie had. It’s a really great family film which I think deserves its place here.
I’ve got a couple of honorary mentions here. The first is The Rocky Horror Picture show, Dead Silence, Sinister, Ted and The Women In Black. All good movies which I wanted to mention as they left a lasting impression on me.